Experienced culture journalist, editor and art critic with 10 years working online and in-print for local, national and international publications. Works on internet trends (memes), virality, visual art and social mobile apps. Skilled at working with younger writers. Works well both remotely and in-person. Strong attention to detail, deadline-driven, team-oriented, always focused on the publication’s mission. Comfortable traveling frequently to report, locate sources, and finish stories. Always bring a sense of humor to the matter, especially if it’s a serious one. I also do standup and improv comedy. I’m quite prolific on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.
- Op-ed Columnist, Guardian UK’sS. Culture section: Writing op-eds and personal narrative essays about sexuality
- Contributing Writer, The New Inquiry: Penning thoughtful, theoretical essays on social mobile dating culture
- Writer, Hyperallergic: Reviewing NYC art shows that have a technology edge
- Humor Writer, Daily Dot: Writing about social media, apps and weird experiences for the LOL and Tech sections
- Essayist, Fusion: Writing personal narrative essays about queerness and sexuality
- Art Critic & Culture Journalist, CRAVE Online: Writing exhibition reviews and artist profiles
- Culture Journalist, KCET Artbound LA: Profiling LA artists for popular social cultural journalism publication
- Art Critic & Culture Journalist, Artsy: Interviewing celebrities and high-profile artists, reviewing major museum exhibitions
- Regularly posting sharable, personable, intelligent, emotional content for branding and fun on my Facebook (3,000 fans), Twitter (3,660 followers) & Instagram (866 followers) including various notable media personalities
- Maintaining an informative and friendly email newsletter that goes out to nearly 1K subscribers per month
Guest Editor-in-Chief, Art21 Magazine
- Editor-in-Chief of the September/October 2015 HAPPINESS Issue of ART21 Magazine
- Editor-in-Chief of the May/June 2015 FAMILY Issue of ART21 Magazine
- Writing ‘Letter from the Editor’ introductions for each issue of the magazine
- Working remotely with writers on tweaking pitches, editing submitted articles, obtaining image copyrights
- Communicating directly with the copyeditor and the digital editor-in-chief
- Managing release of announcements on my personal and fan social media pages
- Formatting and scheduling all articles in the magazine’s WordPress backend
- Frequent contributor to previous issues MAGIC (Jan/Feb 2015) & FAILURE (Dec 2013/Jan 2014)
- Blogger for Art21 before its transition to the magazine, creating a nine-part series about artist residencies
Technology Reporter, ReadWriteWeb
2011–2012 + 2015
- Reporting breaking news stories focused on startups, viral internet memes, and social network psychology
- Writing features on topics such as social media death, internet relationships, queer social media issues
- Collaboratively creating ReadWriteWeb’s online community with fellow staff reporters and community manager
- TechMeme front page viral hits include “Why Do People Use Facebook?”, “Your Facebook Personality is the Real You,” “Chill: It’s Like Pinterest for Video,” and “Storify Update Feels Like a Cleaner Social News Experience”
Associate Editor, MoveOn.org
- Writing attention-grabbing headlines and provocative ledes for image-focused viral content
- Remotely managing a team of 15+ MoveOn.org Contributing Editors and Online Innovation Interns
- Leading weekly team editorial conference calls, focusing on traffic analysis and virality goals
- Developing in-house editorial style guide, editorial guidelines, and WordPress postings guideline
Arts and Entertainment Community Manager, Chicago Tribune
- Collaboratively launching ChicagoNow.com, the Chicago Tribune’s network of more than 200+ hyperlocal blogs including visual arts, comedy, theater, radio/TV personalities, sports, eco-lifestyles, mom bloggers, fitness
- Cultivating niche online communities and viral content through in-person and online outreach events
- Training writers on best blogging techniques, social media marketing and viral content production
I broke the news story President Obama Pens Apology to an Art Historian for Hyperallergic.
The story was picked up by the following publications: New York Times, New York Magazine, New York Post, Reuters, Talking Points Memo, Politico, Memorandum, Huffington Post, Complex, Washington Examiner, Townhall, The Wire, Mediaite, Chronicle of Higher Education
It was featured on two network TV shows:
- MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow show: http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/watch/gop-ties-us-hands-on-ukraine-with-odd-demands-205609539679
- NBC’s Hardball with Chris Matthews: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/54468870/ns/msnbc-hardball_with_chris_matthews/t/hardball-chris-matthews-thursday-february-th/
Even Republicans took to Twitter to have it out:
- Republican National Convention Communications Manager Sean Spicer tweets
- Marco Rubio tweets something inane
LECTURES/ DISCUSSIONS/ CONVERSATIONS
2015 Lecture: “Selfie Culture” at Cal State Fullerton, Fullerton, California
2015 Lecture: “Instagram and Humor” at Portland State University, Portland, Oregon
2015 Panel Discussion: Art & Humor at Eastside International, Los Angeles
2014 Conversation: “I Like Your Work” with Ligia Manuela Lewis for VIA Publication, Los Angeles
2014 Conversation: “Editing Los Angeles” Writer-in-Residence at Adjunct Positions, Los Angeles
2014 Lecture: “Demystifying the Art Critic” at Charlotte Street Foundation in Kansas City, Missouri
2014 Panel Discussion: “Instagram: Images of Self and Society” at the Illinois Humanities Council
2014 Lecture: “Selfie Surveillance: A Conversation About Privacy” at The Project Room, Seattle, WA
2014 Lecture: “Me and You and Every Selfie We Know” at the Philbrook Museum in Tulsa, Oklahoma
2014 Lecture: “Why Selfies? Why Introverts? Why Now” at Bumbershoot Arts & Culture Fest, Seattle
2014 Lecture: “Skype Selfie” at School of the Art Institute of Chicago
2014 Lecture: “Beyond the Surface of Self(ie) Portraits” at Upfor Gallery in Portland, Oregon
2013 Lecture: “Internet Ruined the Video Star” at Oberlin College
2012 Panel Discussion: CAC’s ARTiculate 20/20 Series: “How to Win Over Art Writers”
2010 Panel Discussion: “How Chicago Artists Use Social Media” at the Hyde Park Art Center
2010 Panel Discussion: “Social Media Strategies in Chicago’s Art Community” at Art Chicago
2010 Lecture & Screening: “Curating Video Art with Critic/Curator Alicia Eler” at Harper College
2009 Panel Discussion: Professional Twitter Tips for Artists & Writers at TweetCamp
2009 Lecture & Screening: “Video as Video: Rewind to Form” at Oberlin College
2012 Curator, ACRE Residency & Exhibitions at ACRE Projects in Chicago
2010 Co-curator with Jefferson Godard, “Performance Anxiety” at Souvenirs from the Earth TV, a cable TV station in Germany and France, and Gallery 400 at the University of Illinois at Chicago
2008 Co-curator with Peregrine Honig, “Video as Video: Rewind to Form,” Swimming Pool Project Space, Chicago; Bridge Art Fair, Catalina Hotel, Miami; International Art Affairs, Washington D.C.
2006 Curator, “New Media Art Lecture Series: Cory Arcangel,” Oberlin College
The Editors, “Blackflix and Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone: The Week in Pop-Culture Writing,” The Atlantic, March 5, 2016.
Valentine’s Day Radio Interview with Mark Towhey, NEWSTALK 1010 (Toronto), February 14, 2016.
Hubert Guillaud, “How to Win at Tinder?” Le Monde (France), February, 13, 2016.
Zachary Siegel, “Love in the Time of Tech: Your Brain on Dating Apps”, The Daily Beast, February 2, 2016.
“Tinderização do sentimento”, Manual Do Usuário, translation into Brazilian Portuguese.
“In the Media: January 2016”, The Writes of Women blog, January 24, 2016.
“Yang Gemar Cari Jodoh dengan Tinder Hati-hati!”, JPNN Indonesia, January 23, 2016.
“L’application Tinder serait-elle en train de changer notre façon de penser?”, Biba Magazine France, January 18, 2016.
Hrag Vartanian, “Required Reading: Weekend of January 17,” Hyperallergic, January 17, 2016.
Kate Ng, “Is Tinder changing the way we think?” The Independent, January 17, 2016.
Leah Mandel, “The Fader Weekend Reading List,” The Fader, January 15, 2016.
Cheyenne McDonald, “Is Tinder Changing the Way We Think?” Daily Mail, January 15, 2016.
Gawker Staff, J.K Trotter, “The Best Things We Read in 2015,” Gawker, December 30, 2015.
Alana Hope Levinson, “Can Women Build A Better Tinder?” Medium, November 19, 2015.
Eve Peyser, “15 hilarious women you need to follow on Twitter,” The Daily Dot, August 4, 2015.
Megan Burbank, “Froot Loops: Lisa Frank, Art History Major, at Fourteen30 Contemporary,” Portland Mercury, March 18, 2015.
“Snap a picture if you must – but be careful with your selfie stick,” Western Morning News UK, December 20, 2014.
Perez Hilton, “Terry Richardson Has Been Called a Sex Offender, But It’s What He ISN’T Being Called That Will Probably Burn Him the Most!” Perez Hilton, July 8, 2014.
Jessica Testa, “Terry Richardson Isn’t Much Of An Artist, Art Critics Say,” BuzzFeed, July 7, 2014.
Matt Stromberg, “ArtRx LA: Writer-in-Residence Presentation with Alicia Eler at Adjunct Positions Gallery,” Hyperallergic, October 21, 2014.
Katie Walck, “ZINE: Illuminati Girl Gang #4,” THE LE SIGH, August 20, 2014.
Carrie Riehl & Ross Redman, “New Media Selfie,” KC Studio Magazine, June 17, 2014.
Jerry Saltz, “Art at Arm’s Length: A History of the Selfie,” New York Magazine, January 26, 2014.
Sky Godden, “Creative Gifts for Creative Types: The Art Critic,” ArtInfo, December 11, 2013.
Dan Zak, “Selfie-reliance: The word of the year is the story of our individualism,” Washington Post, November 19, 2013.
Johannah King-Slutzky, “What’s it Like to Be Tumblr Famous,” VICE Magazine, 2013.
Jason Foumberg, “Chicago Has Six Young Art Curators You Should Know,” Chicago Magazine, 2013.
Sarah Terez-Rosenblum, “The Hot Chicago Writer Blog: Alicia Eler,” Chicago Sun-Times, 2013.
Susan Sweenie, “Influencers Who Inspire Series continues with Alicia Eler, ReadWriteWeb,” Business 2 Community, May 4, 2012.
Mary-Louise Schumacher, “Keeping art and feminism alive on the Internet,” Milwaukee Sentinel Journal, December 21, 2010.
Interview for TV Feature on Sylvia Cartoonist Nicole Hollander’s BadGirlChats.com, WTTW Chicago Tonight, December 20, 2010.
Mary Schmich, “Sylvia Finds New Life on a Blog,” Chicago Tribune, November 14, 2010.
Sarah Terez-Rosenblum, “Oak Park comedy bash promises comedy goodness,” Chicago Sun-Times, May 27, 2010.
Jason Foumberg, “The State of the (Visual) Art,” Newcity Newspaper, March 23, 2o10.
Claudine Ise, “Chicago Curators’ Performance Anxiety on Souvenirs from the Earth TV, “ Bad at Sports, December 2, 2009.
Paul Klein, “The Changing Landscape: Artists Take Charge,” Huffington Post, October 20, 2008.
Rachel Funari, “Review: Video as Video: Rewind to Form,” Newcity Newspaper, September 28, 2008.
Critical Fierceness Queer Arts Grant, Chicago, 2011-2012
- Communications: Writing for web and print, editing for web and print, branding and image development, social media marketing and strategy
- Software: Adobe Photoshop CS, ImageOptim, HTML, Microsoft Office, TextEdit, WordPress, Moveable Type
- Analytics: Google Analytics, Chartbeat, Omniture, MailChimp, Constant Contact, Facebook Insights, Klout, HootSuite
University of Chicago, Graham School of Business Manuscript Editing Program, 2008
Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio. BA: Art History, May 2006